Industrial IoT platforms play a central role in driving digital transformation strategy by providing solution capabilities in designing connected products, connection operations & business processes, and connected insights to survive and grow in the global competitive environment. Industrial companies are designing their digital strategy roadmap and are increasingly adopting manufacturing IT, IIoT, robotics, cloud, and advanced analytics solutions to gain operational visibility, improve productivity, and drive sustained business growth.
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) platform includes an integrated software suite that helps industrial organizations to monitor, manage, and control the connected devices via applications built on the platform. IIoT platforms may provide capabilities to support various industrial use cases, including asset tracking & monitoring, predictive maintenance, operational visibility & control, and others to support the complex industrial requirements of the large asset-intensive organizations. The key functionalities of an IIoT platform include connectivity, application enablement & management, device management, data management & processing, analytics & visualization, integration, security, and user interface for users as well as developers.
Industrial IoT platforms market is still emerging with the presence of multiple vendors with varying degree of technology capabilities, market presence, and strength is serving industrial use cases. Majority of the IIoT platforms vendors are focusing on serving their specific target market and industrial applications segments for verticals including process, batch, hybrid, energy & utilities, transportation, and such others. To succeed in the industrial environment, IIoT platforms vendors are making a significant investment in expanding their capabilities through in-house developments, strategic acquisitions, expanding partnership ecosystems, and offering a robust industry-specific and use-case specific out-of-the-box industrial applications.
Quadrant Knowledge Solutions recent study “Market Outlook: Industrial IoT (IIoT) Platforms, 2019-2024, Worldwide” analyses market dynamics, growth opportunities, emerging technology trends, and the vendor ecosystem of the global market. This research provides strategic information for technology vendors to better understand the market supporting their growth strategies and for users to evaluate different vendor capability, competitive differentiation, and its market position.
SPARK MatrixTM Analysis of the Global IIoT Platforms Market
Eurotech is Positioned Amongst 2019 Technology Leaders in the Global IIoT Platforms Market
Quadrant Knowledge Solutions conducted an in-depth analysis of the major IIoT Platform vendors by evaluating their product portfolio, market presence, and value proposition. The IIoT Platforms market outlook provides competitive analysis and a ranking of the leading vendors in the form of proprietary SPARK Matrix. SPARK Matrix analysis provides a snapshot of key market participants and a visual representation of market participants and provides strategic insights on how each vendor ranks related to their competitors, concerning various performance parameters based on the category of technology excellence and customer impact. The evaluation is based on the primary research with expert interviews, analysis of use cases, and Quadrant’s internal analysis of the overall IIoT Platforms market.
According to research findings, Eurotech, with its robust and comprehensive IIoT platform capabilities, is positioned amongst the 2019 technology leaders in the global IIoT platforms market. Eurotech’s leadership recognition is driven by its sophisticated OT-centric technology platform, comprehensive functional capabilities, product strategy, and overall customer impact.
“Eurotech with its comprehensive IIoT solution portfolio, OT-centric approach, and deep industry expertise is well-positioned to help industrial companies in delivering scalable solution for secure device connectivity, remote monitoring & management, data management, application enablement, and IT-OT integration in supporting their digital transformation initiatives,” according to Piyush Dewangan, Industry Research Manager at Quadrant Knowledge Solutions.
Eurotech Capabilities in the Global IIoT Platforms Market
Eurotech IoT solutions are based on Everyware IoT, the company’s integrated edge-to-cloud IoT architecture. Based on the open standards and architecture, Eurotech IoT solution portfolio includes multi-service IoT Edge Gateways, IoT Edge Framework, and IoT Integration Platform. Eurotech offers rich industry experience in providing a holistic OT stack for IIoT solutions, that has its foundation in powerful, enterprise-ready, open source IoT software building blocks, initially contributed and driven by the company.
IoT Edge Gateways
Eurotech offers multi-service IoT edge gateways, a broad portfolio of intelligent devices for a wide range of performance, networking, and ruggedization levels. These Gateways are internationally deployable with certifications including cellular connectivity and are offered in product families optimized for industry-specific use cases including industrial, automotive, medical assets and heavy transportation / rolling stock.
Everyware Software Framework (ESF) – IoT Edge Framework
Eurotech offers Everyware Software Framework (ESF) a multi-platform and a flexible application development environment for IoT and edge computing applications. Based on open and industry standards like Java and OSGi, ESF leverages powerful development tools like the Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for the programming of edge devices. Eurotech maintains an open-source approach to its IIoT architecture and building blocks by driving the edge IoT middleware project Eclipse Kura, which forms the basis for the commercial offering named ESF. ESF provides hardware abstraction, modular software development and includes ready-to-use field protocols, such as Modbus, OPC-UA, S7, CAN, MVB, BACnet and others to connect with field devices. ESF creates a digital twin for each field devices and enables processing of field data at the edge through rich Java APIs, a web-based visual programming environment (Wires) and ready to be used integrations with many IT applications. ESF supports MQTT to publish these data into various IoT platforms and cloud services. Integrations with Microsoft Azure, AWS, SAP, Software AG / Cumulocity, Eclipse Kapua and Eurotech’s Everyware Cloud are readily available. ESF solution supports building a wide range of IoT application including remote monitoring, maintenance, and control of field devices.
Everyware Cloud (EC) IoT Integration Platform
Eurotech Everyware Cloud (EC) is a part of Everyware IoT, the company’s Edge-to-Cloud IoT architecture. EC IoT Platform includes comprehensive capabilities for IoT device management, data management, application development, and integration with an enterprise application. The Everyware Cloud platform supports modular and flexible deployment options. The platform supports on-premise and private cloud deployment in a modular offering or as a complete IoT integration package on the public cloud SaaS-based offering. Following are the key functional capabilities of the EC IoT Integration Platform:
- Device Connectivity: Eurotech enables secure connectivity with IoT devices such as sensors, actuators, control systems (PLCs, SCADA, & others), IoT gateways, and others through ISO-certified standard MQTT protocol, optimized for IoT applications. Eurotech’s Everyware IoT Architecture includes standards-based interfaces that help in reducing integration costs.
- Device Management: EC IoT Integration Platform provides functionalities for secure device connectivity management, device registry, provisioning, remote configuration, OTA software updates, application lifecycle management, remote monitoring, diagnostics, and maintenance through MQTT protocol. It helps to improve operational efficiency and extend the device lifecycle to ensure devices are up-to-date and secure. It also creates a digital twin for field devices and IoT gateways and integrates OT devices with enterprise IT applications.
- Data Management: The platform provides advanced data collection, storage, and functions to derive business insights and actionable intelligence. The platform provides access to real-time aggregated data-streams to enable real-time analytics or provides access to historical data for data aggregation and advanced queries.
- Application Integration: The EC IoT Platform uses a variety of methods to enable seamless integration with existing BI, analytics and dashboard tools, mobile and enterprise applications, alerts & notification, cellular connectivity, and SIM management platforms. Besides very powerful REST APIs, integrations are provided on a database level, message routing, pre-configured Kafka routes and ready to use integrations provided through Red Hat JBoss Fuse.
- Security: The EC IoT Platform provides a centralized security foundation based on role-based access control (RBAC) model. The platform incorporates X.509 certificate-based authentication and integrated PKI certificate management to ensure comprehensive security from edge-to-cloud-to-application security. The platform manages device certificates to ensure the connection with IoT platforms only to trusted devices and validation of software before deploying it. VPN services are offered to secure additional remote device management features also for the integration of legacy systems.
Key Competitive Differentiation and Strengths
Eurotech IIoT platform and solution portfolio is based on an open standard architecture and is designed to support complex industrial use cases including industrial, manufacturing, transportation & mobility, defense & security, energy & utilities, and healthcare to provide robust connectivity, scalability, accelerate development, and reduce TCO. Some of the key differentiation includes:
- Eurotech offers one of the most comprehensive hardware and software IoT solution portfolio, including IoT gateways, edge computers, IoT middleware, and IoT Integration Platform. These solutions are built on Everyware IoT, an open, integrated and managed edge-to-cloud IoT architecture, that ensures seamless connections of operational technology (OT) devices, such as sensors and field devices with enterprise IT applications. IT-OT integration provides real-time operational visibility and insights to optimize asset performance and drive intelligent business decisions.
- Eurotech offers 25+ years of deep industry experience and domain knowledge in the M2M/IoT and distributed systems solutions. The company provides complete OT-centric technology stack for IoT solutions and is well recognized for delivering lower TCO.
- Eurotech platform is based on open and industry standards and is supported by a vast ecosystem of partners to accelerate deployments of multiple IoT solutions. The company continues to focus on expanding its strategic partner ecosystem to accelerate IoT application development, deployment, and overall solution performance.
The Last Word
Eurotech, with its comprehensive OT-centric IIoT solution portfolio based on open standard architecture and deep industry experience, has received strong ratings for its sophisticated technology platform, competitive differentiation strategy, scalability, integration & interoperability, product strategy, and overall customer impact. Driven by strong overall ratings, Eurotech has been positioned amongst the technology leaders in the 2019 SPARK Matrix analysis of the global IIoT platforms market.
Knowledge Brief – Eurotech 2019 IIoT Platforms Market